Many people think that salads are boring because they are healthy food. Here I am going to tell you that salads can be fun and flavorful. Southwest chicken salad, for example, is filled with black beans and corn, which you can mix into your favorite seasonings to add flavor. If you want something simple, chopped vegetable salad or classic Caesar chicken may solve the problem.
Simple Salad Recipes
(1) Chickpea and Yogurt
- 1/4 cup of plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1/2 cup of half grape tomatoes
- Prepare a large bowl combine the ingredients A
- Add ingredients B and mix well.
(2) Garden Pasta Salad
- 12 oz cooked rotini pasta
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas (thawed)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 cups relish
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 8 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Prepare a large bowl combine together the ingredients A.
- Prepare another bowl and mix ingredients B except eggs together for dressing.
- Add to ingredients in step 1, mix well. Add eggs, toss gently. Cover and chill.
(3) Ricotta Potato Salad
- 2 lbs small potatoes halves
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 8 oz green beans cut 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- Cook the small potatoes in water added with salt about 10 minutes. Add the cut green beans at the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Drain and toss immediately with olive oil, lemon juice and zest. Let cool slightly.
- Now add ricotta and fresh dill and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Can be served warm or cold.
(4) Potatoes in Creamy Dill
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 lbs new potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Prepare a pot, cook the potatoes in water with salt about 12 minutes. Drain the water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook over low heat until cream cheese is melted and potatoes are coated.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
(5) Sour Cream Potato Salad
Serves 8 to 10
- 6 to 8 of medium potatoes (Peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 1/2 of cups celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon of prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of onion, finely chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz of pimento, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 8 oz of sour cream
- Prepare a pot and cook the potatoes in water about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ingredients B except sour cream to mix well. Fold in sour cream.
- Add potatoes, celery, and eggs. Toss gently. Cover and chill 1 hour.
(6) Turkey Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups of cubed apples
- 2 1/2 cups of cooked cubed boneless turkey breast
- 1 1/3 cups of peeled orange segments
- 3/4 cup of cubed zucchini
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixed fresh parsley
- Prepare a small bowl and combine all the dressing ingredients, stir well.
- Prepare another medium bowl combine the rest of the ingredients except lettuce. Add dressing and toss.
- Marinate 1 hour in refrigerator before serving.
- Cut lettuce and lay on 6 plates, then spoon turkey mixture over lettuce and serve.
(7) Fish- Vegetable Salad
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh tuna or swordfish broiled or grilled cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 bunch arugula torn in pieces
- 1 head boston lettuce torn in pieces
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 lb asparagus blanched cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup of balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- Prepare a large bowl combine all the ingredients A together, set aside.
- Prepare a small bowl mix all the dressing ingredients and whisk until well mixed. Pour over salad and toss well.